Riverbend Trails/ Riverbend West Trails

The Riverbend Conservation Area, acquired by the Town of West Newbury in 1997, consists of 68 acres of gently sloping forest, wooded wetlands, a former agricultural field, a freshwater tidal marsh extending inland from the Merrimack River, and includes a portion of the Indian River.  This area abuts Riverbend West, (Page School property), which contains 129 acres of town-owned municipal land.  

In 2010, a public trail easement was added to a development on Coffin Street, providing access from Coffin Street to the Indian River Dam Ruins, a very scenic and historical spot in the heart of this forest.

For equestrian use, the trails in this area can be accessed from Pipestave Hill Equestrian area.  

For trail descriptions and area history, see the History page (link).  

  • Trails are marked with colored diamond markers.
  • Wide and single-track trails of various natural terrains of hills, flats, and fields.
  • Terrain can be at times rocky with the crossing of streams and muddy areas.
  • Certain trails contain bridges.
  • During spring as well as periods of heavy rain the trails can become flooded.
  • Please be aware that these are multi-use trails.
  • Horses are restricted to specific trails.
  • Horses are NOT PERMITTED on certain parts of the Indian River Trail.

Riverbend Trail

  • From Mill Pond’s upper parking lot, cross Route 113 to enter the trail.
  • The old cow pasture that the trail passes through was part of a dairy farm used by Mingo family, who purchased the land in the 1930s.
  • The property was previously owned by E. Moody Boynton, who was the inventor of the crosscut saw and monorail.
  • The trail crosses several stonewalls built by settlers in the 17th and 18th century.
  • Just below the Page School are the remains of a ski tow that was used from 1960 to 1972.
  • The trail travels east and links to a large hay field, ideal for cross-country skiing and horseback riding.
  • The old cellar hole is the former Griffin Home Site built in 1729. Rumors have it rumrunners used the foundation hole during prohibition.

River Road Trail

  • The River Road Trai an ancient trail once used by Native Americans to reach summering grounds on Plum Island.
  • Rare wild rice paddies can be seen growing along the Merrimack River.
  • The bridge spanning the Indian River was built in 1999 and allows foot, bicycle and equestrian crossings.
  • The Tupelo Trail, which is off the Riverbend Trail, provides a beautiful, quick visit to one of the most scenic places in West Newbury any time of year.

Indian River Trail

  • This trail begins at the Merrimack River and meanders through the Riverbend Forest to the Indian River.
  • The trail follows rare freshwater tidal estuaries, first protected in 1686 to “be free as far as the tide flows for the passing and re-passing of boats and canoes.”
  • The trail passes through virgin stands of oak and beech trees and reaches a scenic point once used by Native Americans as a canoe stop and campsite.
  • The trail ends at the remains of a former sawmill and dam, built by Sargent Joseph Pike in 1706.
  • To help protect sensitive vegetation, no horses are permitted in certain areas of this trail.

Page Trail

  • From Pipestave Hill’s parking lot, cross Route 113 and enter the trail next to the water tower.
  • The trail is fairly steep as it goes down the hill, where it eventually joins the Riverbend and Indian River Trails.

Myopia Trail, Cedar Ridge Trail and River’s Edge Trail

  • A new trail network was added in 2013 connecting Coffin Street to the Indian River Dam Ruins.
  • This trail features a 50 boardwalk crossing wetlands through a newly acquired public trail easement.
  • The Myopia, Cedar Ridge and River’s Edge Trails merge at the bridge crossing the Indian River, where the former dam and dike were located.
  • Named in honor of the high school seniors who carried the bridge materials to the site, the Pentucket Trail provides a direct, albeit steep, route up to the Page School.
  • The boardwalks and bridges were built by SCA AmeriCorps in July 2014 using Town CPA funds.