PIPESTAVE HILL EQUESTRIAN AREA:
WINTER UPDATE & CROSS COUNTRY COURSE INFO:
The Cross Country Course and all the jumps are now closed for the season. The course usually opens in late June. Please check here for any updates and thanks for your co-operation.
THE RINGS ARE FOR MOUNTED RIDING & GRAZING ONLY
SERIOUS DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE TO THE FOOTING IN THE PAST BY LUNGING AND OTHER SIMILAR ACTIVITIES.
The rings, trails and fields are open for your hacking pleasure ONLY when the footing is firm enough... please use mowed paths only in every field and be considerate and do not damage the footing. Trailer parking is in the gravel parking area near the rings, accessed through the main entrance. Please remove all your hay and manure when you go, as we share this area with other activities.
ATHLETIC FIELDS ACTIVITIES: All is quiet right now for baseball, soccer, lacrosse and rugby on the 4 athletic fields at Pipestave HIll. The WNRDC has created a calendar/chart (CLICK HERE for 2013 calendar as an example, 2014 calendar to be posted as soon as available) of these activities to help you determine when activities are occurring.
MILL POND AREA: Please WALK only near the pond and roadways leading to and from the pond. This area is too congested for any other gait and there are many families with young children and dogs there that are not familiar with horses. Horses are no longer allowed to wade near the dock area. There is a separate area beyond the telephone poles.
The West Newbury Open Space Committee (click here) now has their own website. This is a real bonus for equestrians as there are descriptions of all the trails on town-owned and otherwise preserved land, including some maps. Check it out!
THE MISSION OF THE WEST NEWBURY RIDING & DRIVING CLUB
The West Newbury Riding & Driving Club (WNRDC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization composed of a group of horse enthusiasts (actively riding/driving and non-riding/driving as well) who seek to preserve and improve riding opportunities in West Newbury, organize riding activities with other members and the general public, and just enjoy relaxed horse-related friendships and social activities.
The town of West Newbury is also now part of the Essex County Trail Association (ECTA). Like WNRDC, ECTA is dedicated to the preservation and maintenance of open trails in its local communities for the purpose of passive recreation and the benefit of the environment.
Activities during the year usually include:
- Regular meetings, often with a speaker or activity
- Trail rides
- Maintenance and improvement of the Pipestave Hill Equestrian area
- West Newbury trail network maintenance, improvement and observation
- Organizing and running the Pipestave Hill Horse Trials Series - two low-level horse trials (combined training) events open to the public
- Adventure Trail discounted to members and volunteers
- Shot Clinic (at reduced rates for W. Newbury horse residents only)
- Compilation and posting of the Local Equine Activities Calendar (a free publication listing all local equestrian activities, all disciplines included)
- Annual winter pot luck dinner, summer BBQ, holiday Yankee Swap, and other social gatherings
- Mounted and/or unmounted clinics for members only
- Substantial donations to W. Newbury service organizations (Police, Fire, Library, Emergency Management, Open Space Committee, etc.) and other local equine organizations (Windrush Theraputic Riding, MSPCA Nevins Farm, etc.)
We always welcome new members, both from West Newbury and other towns. Though we run horse competitions, most of our members are not competition-oriented. We organize the two horse trials eventing competitions to keep our exceptional facility active and as our only source of income to be able to continue to improve it and do the other activities listed above. We are both lucky and unique to have both riding rings and a small cross-country course on town-owned land so we work very hard to preserve and continually improve the facility. Times change and West Newbury is growing as well. We want to keep West Newbury horse-friendly and fun, and have a great time enjoying each other's company.
Click HERE to link to this website for all things equestrian in the New England area.
The West Newbury Riding and Driving Club is an EquineSite.com affiliate.